Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Anchor Charts

I love to use anchor charts in my classroom! Here are several anchor charts that can be introduced during a mini-lesson and referenced during the Writing Workshop. The hard part is finding enough wall space to display all of them!

 The First Grade Parade
This anchor chart is a great way to launch the Writing Workshop. It's also a nice reference point during a one-on-one conference or a "drop in" conference to direct students to why they are writing.


 
I introduce this anchor chart after we read The Best Story by Eileen Spinelli. I teach students that our best stories come from our heart and we brainstorm topics we can write about. The students make their own heart maps and add them to their writing notebooks or folders.


Anchor charts can be used to introduce expectations and the basic structure of the Writing Workshop. It's helpful to have an anchor chart to refer to during an Expectation/Behavior Conference with students.


I'm not sure of the original source for this anchor chart--if you know where it's from, please comment! I like to introduce a checklist like this to teach my first graders how to use individual checklist with their writing. 


I love to use interactive anchor charts. This Writing Goals anchor chart can be used to introduce various writing goals throughout the year. It could be added on to as each goal is taught. Then students or teachers can choose a goal for individuals to work on in their writing. 

There are so many wonderful examples of anchor charts available online. I truly believe that anchor charts are an excellent resource for both students and teachers to refer back to after a mini-lesson. What anchor charts do you find to be essential for Writing Workshop?

No comments:

Post a Comment